Sunday, December 28, 2008

Jarowl




Dear Friends,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Elliot. I am a 23 year old single male. I am in my 6th year at Yeshiva University and I hope to one day graduate. Upon graduating, I plan to apply for jobs in the field of gardening or human resources.

Applying for human resource jobs is a funny endeavor being that you need to go through human resources to apply. I imagine they may feel somewhat intimidated by an applicant that is applying for their very job. There must be many lost applications for human resource personnel. Human resources is also the only job a Psychology major could get unless he spends his adult life in graduate school - So I may be screwed. But being jobless is so in these days.

If you are wondering why my pen-name is Jarowl, I will tell you. Listen. In my intro to Psych class in the 12th grade, my teacher, Rabbi Dr. Shimmel, an absurdly interesting and brilliant individual, brought in a book of obscure words of the English language. One of the words was "jarowl." Definition: "The European goatsucker."

I thought, and still think, this is the best word ever. It can be found in those big Oxford English Dictionaries that must weigh 16 pounds.They usually lie beneath a sheet of dust that resembles the lint in the dryer filter. Look; the word is there.

What exactly is the European goatsucker. I have done some research and there is little literature on the matter. I either read or made up the following: In small English villages in the 12th Century goat farmers whose goats were not giving adequate milk believed that tiny owls that lived in glass jars at night would fly into the goat pasteur and suck the milk out of their goats.

I could relate to these owls. I often feel like stealing and drinking exotic milk - like Joey's soy milk (I'll get you back, Joe, I promise.) Living in a jar would also allow me to save money on rent. But don't worry guys, I'd never leave you.

I also feel like an owl sometime. Despite being as insightful as a bird, I like to be perceived as wise. I can't really sleep at night. I ask a lot of questions.(who?)

I apologize for the corny joke. This is my first post, and I am a bit nervous.

Friends, I wish you much luck in all of your future endeavors. If any of you one day need a job I may be in human resources so I could hook y'all up. Or, if I turn out to be a Gardener, and you happen to be in need of a particular vegetable, you know my number.

Love,

Jarowl (Yisroel Chaim, Elliot Michael, Combo, Kaminetzky III)

1 comment:

  1. jarowl,
    i have to admit that i was a bit skeptical about this whole european goatsucker thing you mention, so i took the liberty of looking into it and you were correct. so i apologize for doubting you and i hope we can still be friends.

    ReplyDelete