Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Random thoughts

Contrary to what many people might believe I actually love it in New York city. I don't know why I started with that sentence but it just seemed like a good way to get people's attention. What I really want to write about is owning horses and how cool they are; plus the many uses that they have.
Once upon a time I was reading a maxim magazine and inside it had an article about the new past time of really rich people. It was talking about how they train hawks to go hunting for them (though this kinda takes the fun out of hunting I can see the draw). At this point you are asking yourself "what the hell does this have to do with horses?" If you have some more patience I will get there.
I also have been a fan of horses since I was a little kid, I always enjoyed going horseback riding and I also thought it would be cool to own a ranch with tons of open acres to ride around on. Now I was thinking that it would be an amazing pass time to combine the two concepts. Horseback riding plus hunting with hawks.
Just picture this in your mind's eye: You are in the midwest (or anywhere with big open areas but I kinda like the idea of the midwest) and you have hundreds of acres of open land around you; every direction you look in you just see sprawling fields. Its a sunny day, a bright blue sky, with maybe a few puffy white clouds here and there. Then you come riding onto the scene on a big magestic horse, with a beautiful hawk on your shoulder. OK here is where it gets cool, you see something in the distance you aren't sure but you start riding closer to get a better look. As you are nearing your destination you realize its a colony of prarie dogs. You stop your horse, raise your arm and with a signal from your hand the hawk is off. A few minutes later it returns carrying a prarie dog in its talons.
Now your probably asking yourself "why is he writing about this?" and even if you don't care I'm going to tell you anyway. I was riding a horse the other day in PA and I was looking out over the mountains, taking in deep breaths of the fresh air and I felt like home. One thing lead to another and I was thinking thoughts that I haven't had in a while like living out west on a ranch with a horse and a hawk and I figured I'd share.

11 comments:

  1. im still not getting u a horse...this was not a persuasive enough essay

    ReplyDelete
  2. so when I get rich Ill buy us both horses and hawks

    ReplyDelete
  3. it wasn't supposed to be a persuasive essay, but come on really? they are soo cool, like giant dogs that you just cant stand behind

    ReplyDelete
  4. for those wondering why you cant stand behind a horse its because they get scared easily and have the tendency to kick their hind legs when they do. and pretty much i dont think anyone really ever wants to get kicked by a horse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo,

    I'm surprised you still horseback ride after the Natanya incident.

    In case you forgot (and for those of you who would like to hear a joeyesque anecdote)I will remind you.

    We were horseback riding on the beaches of Natantya. The sun was setting as we galloped along the the shore, silver hooves splashing in the crystal water. A bride and groom sat on a nearby rock, just wed, a ceremony of two.

    A hairy Israeli man rode just ahead of us, reminding our faithful steeds to accelerate. They did. Joey asked that our guide slow down a tad. He thought his horse was going mad. I thought Joey was afraid of the speed and was making up an excuse to slow us all down.

    Having paid 100 NIS for the equestrian expedition, I did not want to slow down to the pace of a pony ride. I asked dudik to speed up instead. Joey looked nervous as he fastened his grip on the saddle's front.

    Twas then I learned not to doubt my blond friend.
    His Israeli horse neighed wildly as it sprung onto its hind legs. But, like clint eastwood's stunt double, Joey leaned back and held on.

    Dudik was noticeably annoyed that his horse nearly killed his customer and cursed at him in Hebrew (I later found out that, as punishment, the horse was deprived of Hummus for 3 days). Joey and he switched horses and we trotted back to the ranch.

    Joey took a handful of manure and stuck it in his back pocket to remember the epic day. My respect for the man was somewhat higher for the man on the train ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horses are cool.

    I don't like the hawk thing though.

    And depriving a horse of Hummus for 3 days is not a punishment, that is downright cruelty. It is over-the-top animal abuse. Disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is this 15washterrace fellow that hates me so?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think he was commenting on you as much as on my post. Not trying to sound cocky or anything but he has been doing similar things to other people's posts as well. So don't worry jarowl, your comment was awesome!

    ReplyDelete